Tuesday 24 November 2015

Starting my journey with Jane Plan

The start of my journey...baby steps!

I chose a start date but I didn't stick to it because I had a social commitment. The plan recommends that you have a drink free/no eating out first week.  My second start date came and I began. 

As every dieter knows, the beginning is easy...its exciting...you still have motivation. But I was hungry. Really hungry. I was getting worried that I'd wasted The cost of a 4 month subscription on a plan I'm not going to be able to stick to! 

Support helped me through

I had my first call a few days in - I was told at this point I could eat as many crudités as I liked - this really helped. The hunger slowly subsided and I realised I wasn't quite hitting the celery as often. 

Following a sober (and boring) first week I began to resume my social life. My first commitment was dinner with friends I hadn't seen in a while. I looked at the menu in advance and panicked... I couldn't see anything on the menu I could eat. What should I do? Cancel? Have a side salad? There isn't one! Only buttery vegetables! I thought I could test the support via email (one of my reasons for choosing the Jane Plan) - I sent the menu to Jane Plan and very quickly (within an hour) I received a response! My nutritionist suggested either steak with plain veg or another option on the menu with some suggested tweaks. I chose the steak; I knew I wouldnt feel like I was missing out with a nice juicy steak to eat! 

Of course, despite ordering with all the amends, the veg came with butter on. I sent them back! Not only had I found motivation, but confidence and determination to follow this through. I have to say it did take that determination to watch my friends eating truffle fries!!

A number of social events came and went and I managed to make amends to the dishes to stay within my calories. A salad with no sauce and no croutons or another steak. A gin and slim rather than my usual glass of red. 

I used my fitness pal to track my calories (and still do 9 weeks in). I checked with my nutritionist and she said this was ok. As I began to lose weight though, the calories started to reduce!

My first slip up

I went for 'just one drink' at a reception at work. It started out well. I refused canapé after canapé, but unfortunately I didn't refuse the wine! As I got more drunk my new-found resolve weakened and I started to say yes to the canapés! Then the macaroons came out. Again, I started off well refusing them but after a while I broke down. Despite the weakness I recorded my consumption in my fitness pal..

The next morning, very hungover, my nutritionist called!! My weekly catch up. My nutritionist was amazing! Tantamount to a counsellor. She emphasised the positives - in the past I would have said yes to every canapé and every macaroon and probably taken some home! This was a key moment in my journey - I learned some new rules -
  • Don't beat yourself up;
  • Alter your behaviour as best you can;
  • Be better, it doesn't have to be perfect; and
  • Make up for it afterwards.

lbs lost: 9
lbs to go: 111

No comments:

Post a Comment